Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253
In NJ we have a ballot referendum whether to allow the construction of two casinos in northern New Jersey. It is expected to go down in defeat. I am happy about that. I think casinos hurt the poor and I don't want them to be more accessible.

How do you feel about casinos? Do you often go there? Do you gamble a lot? Would you be okay with one opening near you?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+625|3825|Washington St.
I'm relatively indifferent to them - locally. I got to vegas once a year but that's a different story.

If one opens up near me, great. If not, great. We have a few ~1 hour away on the indian reservations. I've been once or twice, but don't gamble much outside of my trips to vegas so it doesn't have an appeal to me.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2892|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In NJ we have a ballot referendum whether to allow the construction of two casinos in northern New Jersey. It is expected to go down in defeat. I am happy about that. I think casinos hurt the poor and I don't want them to be more accessible.

How do you feel about casinos? Do you often go there? Do you gamble a lot? Would you be okay with one opening near you?
I wonder who is funding all the negative ads
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In NJ we have a ballot referendum whether to allow the construction of two casinos in northern New Jersey. It is expected to go down in defeat. I am happy about that. I think casinos hurt the poor and I don't want them to be more accessible.

How do you feel about casinos? Do you often go there? Do you gamble a lot? Would you be okay with one opening near you?
casinos are fucking great

#casinomike
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In NJ we have a ballot referendum whether to allow the construction of two casinos in northern New Jersey. It is expected to go down in defeat. I am happy about that. I think casinos hurt the poor and I don't want them to be more accessible.

How do you feel about casinos? Do you often go there? Do you gamble a lot? Would you be okay with one opening near you?
I wonder who is funding all the negative ads
IIRC, Politico said the ads are being paid in large part by a Malaysian company that owns some New York casino.

I wouldn't care if Putin himself ran ads against the casino. I think they exploit the poor and don't want northern Jersey poor people to have a place where they can blow all their money easily.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2892|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In NJ we have a ballot referendum whether to allow the construction of two casinos in northern New Jersey. It is expected to go down in defeat. I am happy about that. I think casinos hurt the poor and I don't want them to be more accessible.

How do you feel about casinos? Do you often go there? Do you gamble a lot? Would you be okay with one opening near you?
I wonder who is funding all the negative ads
IIRC, Politico said the ads are being paid in large part by a Malaysian company that owns some New York casino.

I wouldn't care if Putin himself ran ads against the casino. I think they exploit the poor and don't want northern Jersey poor people to have a place where they can blow all their money easily.
But the idea is to pull people out of the city, not locals. And poor people buy scratch offs, they don't go to casinos. Casinos are mostly populated by granny's. Visit AC sometime. Bus after bus of grandma's.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253
I don't care about tourist. Poor and lower income people are going to visit this Casino. This isn't isolated like AC is. Scratch offs and lottery tickets shouldn't be sold either.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't care about tourist. Poor and lower income people are going to visit this Casino. This isn't isolated like AC is. Scratch offs and lottery tickets shouldn't be sold either.
Depends on slot machines.

Poor people are more likely going to play slot machines than table games.

Casino's actually lose money if they have really low-end table games. The higher the stakes, the higher the hourly income.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2712|Sydney
I rarely visit casinos (less than once a year) but they're a business like any other.

What I don't like is the lockout laws in Sydney, where all venues in the CBD bar the current casino and the new one being built are exempt from the laws. Being a musician I really empathise with other musicians as well as bartenders, security, cabbies and venue owners who have lost their jobs over ineffective prohibition.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3640|eXtreme to the maX
If people really are dumb enough to throw their money away in these places I don't really care.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253
I think we have a responsibility to protect people from predatory business practices.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3640|eXtreme to the maX
I people are mentally ill or addicted that's one thing, otherwise no-one is forced to enter a casino or play a slot machine in a hotel.
I never saw the point, I got more 'return' playing arcade games.

In Adelaide and Sydney it seems to be mostly dumb Asian tourists/students, I don't care.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I think we have a responsibility to protect people from predatory business practices.
Start with auto-lenders and pay day loans.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3640|eXtreme to the maX
Start with people who sell false dreams as marketing for crap
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2892|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I think we have a responsibility to protect people from predatory business practices.
Start with auto-lenders and pay day loans.
Payday loans are sometimes the only thing standing between people getting evicted or having their electricity shutoff. Yes, the interest rates are exorbitant, but so are the default rates. We're talking about people that don't have any savings, don't qualify for credit cards, and don't have any family members or friends that will loan to them. The problem is that they are already on the edge and by taking out a loan they are starting the next pay cycle in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. I've been there. When I was in the army my bank allowed me to overdraft up to $100, so I always started every pay period minus $130 ($30 overdraft fee). When your paycheck is only $450 to begin with, it's really hard to dig yourself out. I did it to myself though, and have no one else to blame. I also had a car loan with a 17% interest rate that soaked up 1/3 of my pay. Tough life lessons, and it's ultimately what led to my interest in economics and finance.

Anyway, if you tried to abolish the payday loans, or the usurious car loans, while the intentions are good, you might end up really hurting the people you're tying to help. Car dealers will disappear and the poor will have a harder time getting to work. When emergencies come up, they might be homeless instead of in debt.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+625|3825|Washington St.
Enact a law with a max interest rate for loans depending on this or that
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I think we have a responsibility to protect people from predatory business practices.
Start with auto-lenders and pay day loans.
Payday loans are sometimes the only thing standing between people getting evicted or having their electricity shutoff. Yes, the interest rates are exorbitant, but so are the default rates. We're talking about people that don't have any savings, don't qualify for credit cards, and don't have any family members or friends that will loan to them. The problem is that they are already on the edge and by taking out a loan they are starting the next pay cycle in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. I've been there. When I was in the army my bank allowed me to overdraft up to $100, so I always started every pay period minus $130 ($30 overdraft fee). When your paycheck is only $450 to begin with, it's really hard to dig yourself out. I did it to myself though, and have no one else to blame. I also had a car loan with a 17% interest rate that soaked up 1/3 of my pay. Tough life lessons, and it's ultimately what led to my interest in economics and finance.

Anyway, if you tried to abolish the payday loans, or the usurious car loans, while the intentions are good, you might end up really hurting the people you're tying to help. Car dealers will disappear and the poor will have a harder time getting to work. When emergencies come up, they might be homeless instead of in debt.
It's not the level of interest I'm concerned about. It's not the interests in the loans I'm concerned about it, it's the downright misrepresentations that occur during those process' - Particularly in Car loans. 

It's about informing people how much they really need to pay off to become debt free. Eg, my credit card fee statement states how much interest I would be paying if I only paid the minimum. That's an example of giving people an informed choice.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:


Start with auto-lenders and pay day loans.
Payday loans are sometimes the only thing standing between people getting evicted or having their electricity shutoff. Yes, the interest rates are exorbitant, but so are the default rates. We're talking about people that don't have any savings, don't qualify for credit cards, and don't have any family members or friends that will loan to them. The problem is that they are already on the edge and by taking out a loan they are starting the next pay cycle in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. I've been there. When I was in the army my bank allowed me to overdraft up to $100, so I always started every pay period minus $130 ($30 overdraft fee). When your paycheck is only $450 to begin with, it's really hard to dig yourself out. I did it to myself though, and have no one else to blame. I also had a car loan with a 17% interest rate that soaked up 1/3 of my pay. Tough life lessons, and it's ultimately what led to my interest in economics and finance.

Anyway, if you tried to abolish the payday loans, or the usurious car loans, while the intentions are good, you might end up really hurting the people you're tying to help. Car dealers will disappear and the poor will have a harder time getting to work. When emergencies come up, they might be homeless instead of in debt.
It's not the level of interest I'm concerned about. It's not the interests in the loans I'm concerned about it, it's the downright misrepresentations that occur during those process' - Particularly in Car loans. 

It's about informing people how much they really need to pay off to become debt free. Eg, my credit card fee statement states how much interest I would be paying if I only paid the minimum. That's an example of giving people an informed choice.
I am pretty sure it is law that loans need to show how much a person is going to pay in total after interest is added. I know it is the law with student loans. My sister bought a car a few months back and in the loan agreement had how much she would pay with interest added to the loan.

I am more worried about sellers convincing people to buy damaged and run down cars at unfair prices even before the interest kicks in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2892|London, England

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:


Start with auto-lenders and pay day loans.
Payday loans are sometimes the only thing standing between people getting evicted or having their electricity shutoff. Yes, the interest rates are exorbitant, but so are the default rates. We're talking about people that don't have any savings, don't qualify for credit cards, and don't have any family members or friends that will loan to them. The problem is that they are already on the edge and by taking out a loan they are starting the next pay cycle in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. I've been there. When I was in the army my bank allowed me to overdraft up to $100, so I always started every pay period minus $130 ($30 overdraft fee). When your paycheck is only $450 to begin with, it's really hard to dig yourself out. I did it to myself though, and have no one else to blame. I also had a car loan with a 17% interest rate that soaked up 1/3 of my pay. Tough life lessons, and it's ultimately what led to my interest in economics and finance.

Anyway, if you tried to abolish the payday loans, or the usurious car loans, while the intentions are good, you might end up really hurting the people you're tying to help. Car dealers will disappear and the poor will have a harder time getting to work. When emergencies come up, they might be homeless instead of in debt.
It's not the level of interest I'm concerned about. It's not the interests in the loans I'm concerned about it, it's the downright misrepresentations that occur during those process' - Particularly in Car loans. 

It's about informing people how much they really need to pay off to become debt free. Eg, my credit card fee statement states how much interest I would be paying if I only paid the minimum. That's an example of giving people an informed choice.
Already part of the contract.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2892|London, England

pirana6 wrote:

Enact a law with a max interest rate for loans depending on this or that
Then you create shortages.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:


Payday loans are sometimes the only thing standing between people getting evicted or having their electricity shutoff. Yes, the interest rates are exorbitant, but so are the default rates. We're talking about people that don't have any savings, don't qualify for credit cards, and don't have any family members or friends that will loan to them. The problem is that they are already on the edge and by taking out a loan they are starting the next pay cycle in a hole that is very difficult to climb out of. I've been there. When I was in the army my bank allowed me to overdraft up to $100, so I always started every pay period minus $130 ($30 overdraft fee). When your paycheck is only $450 to begin with, it's really hard to dig yourself out. I did it to myself though, and have no one else to blame. I also had a car loan with a 17% interest rate that soaked up 1/3 of my pay. Tough life lessons, and it's ultimately what led to my interest in economics and finance.

Anyway, if you tried to abolish the payday loans, or the usurious car loans, while the intentions are good, you might end up really hurting the people you're tying to help. Car dealers will disappear and the poor will have a harder time getting to work. When emergencies come up, they might be homeless instead of in debt.
It's not the level of interest I'm concerned about. It's not the interests in the loans I'm concerned about it, it's the downright misrepresentations that occur during those process' - Particularly in Car loans. 

It's about informing people how much they really need to pay off to become debt free. Eg, my credit card fee statement states how much interest I would be paying if I only paid the minimum. That's an example of giving people an informed choice.
Already part of the contract.
yes because contracts have never been misrepresented ever...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3640|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Enact a law with a max interest rate for loans depending on this or that
Then you create shortages.
Of what, money?

There should be a usury law, if only to bring the jews into line, but then Visa would be pissed so its not happening.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4250

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Enact a law with a max interest rate for loans depending on this or that
Then you create shortages.
Of what, money?

There should be a usury law, if only to bring the jews into line, but then Visa would be pissed so its not happening.
usury laws are pree dumb
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3640|eXtreme to the maX
Well its funny, the jews have one set of usury laws for themselves and a different set for everyone else, not so dumb after all.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1253
The Jews own the casinos too, Dilbert. You should pay attention to the casinos.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard