Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:


You were even in the military and still aren't aware of the humanitarian efforts that militaries can provide.

Just delete your fucking account now. Dear god.
What humanitarian efforts? People in the military are hired killers, not NGO humanitarians.
Go to Google. I'm not going to explain how to work the internet for you either.
Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans. This is why deploying the military should always be a big deal and why the militarization of police is such an urgent issue.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+138|867
i'm pretty sure that dilbert and myself both went to better regarded schools, worked harder at our studies, and work in better regarded jobs than you do, jay. the last person i'd feel an inferiority complex over is the guy mangling plato references on a gaming forum in an attempt to come across as a learned man. everything that i put a high value on and consider worthy are things that you lack. you're an exotic specimen to me with your parodic libertarianism and self-fashioning peacockery.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,590|3521|eXtreme to the max

Jay wrote:

Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans.
This is why you lost in Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc etc.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

uziq wrote:

i'm pretty sure that dilbert and myself both went to better regarded schools, worked harder at our studies, and work in better regarded jobs than you do, jay. the last person i'd feel an inferiority complex over is the guy mangling plato references on a gaming forum in an attempt to come across as a learned man. everything that i put a high value on and consider worthy are things that you lack. you're an exotic specimen to me with your parodic libertarianism and self-fashioning peacockery.
I design buildings, you edit third rate history books. I'm ok with my life choices
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,590|3521|eXtreme to the max
You design building services for the people who design buildings, its not quite the same thing.
Its like saying you were in military liaison when what you really did was plug cables together and check the lights kept blinking.
Or like me saying I design submarines and destroyers when in fact I just make some of the parts.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-12-17 05:29:23)

Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
uziq
Member
+138|867
funny, i thought architects designed buildings. you know, well educated people who went to good schools. i thought you were a HVAC engineer?

not sure where the 'third-rate' part is coming from, most of the authors i commission are academics. that may be you projecting there on your own part because of the amount of times i've jibed your reading habits. and i'll be going back into academia shortly, anyway – this is just a neat thing to do that flexes the same skills. i certainly don't have any social inferiority complexes caused by STEM types. especially a blue-collar arriviste like yourself.

Last edited by uziq (2016-12-17 05:31:29)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans.
This is why you lost in Vietnam, Somalia, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc etc.
We had no stated goals in any of them. They were all losses due to poor poitical leadership. The military is good at "hold this piece of ground" but you have to set parameters for success beyond that if that's what you want. What was the goal in Afghanistan beyond killing Osama bin Laden? What was the goal in Iraq beyond toppling Saddam? "Create a stable democracy" is such a vague goal it's laughable. Somalia started as a humanitarian effort that devolved into regime change as well. Ubless you're willing to occupy a country indefinitely like we did in Germany, Japan and South Korea you can't guarantee the outcome you want, so we lose instead.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2593|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:


What humanitarian efforts? People in the military are hired killers, not NGO humanitarians.
Go to Google. I'm not going to explain how to work the internet for you either.
Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans. This is why deploying the military should always be a big deal and why the militarization of police is such an urgent issue.
Do you even read your own words, or is just mental diarrhoea you spew?

You said "The whole purpose of the military is to fight wars or be ready to fight them. It serves literally no other function."

I said it does serve other purposes.

You said it doesn't.

I said go google humanitarian efforts.

You then call me a child because militaries train people how to use weapons. Which I never suggested they didn't, I just said they serve other purposes other than fighting wars.


Despite all this I'm sure you're going to come up with some reply that doesn't directly address what I've outlined here because "winning" an argument is more important than facts.

I can now see why people don't really respect you at times.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

uziq wrote:

funny, i thought architects designed buildings. you know, well educated people who went to good schools. i thought you were a HVAC engineer?

not sure where the 'third-rate' part is coming from, most of the authors i commission are academics. that may be you projecting there on your own part because of the amount of times i've jibed your reading habits. and i'll be going back into academia shortly, anyway – this is just a neat thing to do that flexes the same skills. i certainly don't have any social inferiority complexes caused by STEM types. especially a blue-collar arriviste like yourself.
Maybe it's different in the UK, but architects here have the artistic vision, they style the building and do the floor plan and plan the finishes. Some are good, some are bad, but their job is the form. Engineers come in behind them and make sure the building doesn't fall down and is actually functional. We plan the excavations, the utilities, the structural members, the mechanical systems, electrical systems and plumbing systems. I design the mechanical systems and then oversee the contractor through the construction process to make sure what he builds is what I designed. I'm turning over a project for bid on Tuesday where I will gut the boiler room of a school, replace all the controls in the building, and retrofit the fan systems. I also designed the 50,000 square foot addition they are attaching to the building.

This is just a statement of fact and not meant to be a brag. I simply enjoy what I do. It's not for everyone though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,590|3521|eXtreme to the max

Jay wrote:

We had no stated goals in any of them.
They were simple goals, the military were not trained or equipped to deliver them and so failed.
The military is good at "hold this piece of ground"
No, they're good at taking ground, very poor at holding it. That was the point in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq etc.....
What was the goal in Afghanistan beyond killing Osama bin Laden?
That was never the goal in Afghanistan, it was toppling the Taliban remember?
What was the goal in Iraq beyond toppling Saddam?
That was never the goal in Iraq, it was removing WMD remember?
"Create a stable democracy" is such a vague goal it's laughable.
Its a simple and concrete goal, you failed, accept it.
Unless you're willing to occupy a country indefinitely like we did in Germany, Japan and South Korea you can't guarantee the outcome you want, so we lose instead.
Um, America occupied Iraq two years longer than it occupied Japan Jay.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
uziq
Member
+138|867
and i work with yale professors and have had my commissioned books reviewed in the LRB. so what? am i supposed to feel inferior to the guy who replaces a boiler? i can't even fathom your way of thinking sometimes.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:


Go to Google. I'm not going to explain how to work the internet for you either.
Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans. This is why deploying the military should always be a big deal and why the militarization of police is such an urgent issue.
Do you even read your own words, or is just mental diarrhoea you spew?

You said "The whole purpose of the military is to fight wars or be ready to fight them. It serves literally no other function."

I said it does serve other purposes.

You said it doesn't.

I said go google humanitarian efforts.

You then call me a child because militaries train people how to use weapons. Which I never suggested they didn't, I just said they serve other purposes other than fighting wars.


Despite all this I'm sure you're going to come up with some reply that doesn't directly address what I've outlined here because "winning" an argument is more important than facts.

I can now see why people don't really respect you at times.
The military is miscast in a humanitarian role. You want them to stand there and deter bad guys? Sure, ok, but their job is still to be a hired killer, not hand out bags of rice. There are some parts of the military that can function in other roles, yes, construction engineers come to mind, but at the end of the day you're asking the military to do something outside of its stated purpose. If you want to distribute rice hire people whose job it is to distribute rice, that's all I'm saying.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,590|3521|eXtreme to the max

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

funny, i thought architects designed buildings. you know, well educated people who went to good schools. i thought you were a HVAC engineer?

not sure where the 'third-rate' part is coming from, most of the authors i commission are academics. that may be you projecting there on your own part because of the amount of times i've jibed your reading habits. and i'll be going back into academia shortly, anyway – this is just a neat thing to do that flexes the same skills. i certainly don't have any social inferiority complexes caused by STEM types. especially a blue-collar arriviste like yourself.
Maybe it's different in the UK, but architects here have the artistic vision, they style the building and do the floor plan and plan the finishes. Some are good, some are bad, but their job is the form. Engineers come in behind them and make sure the building doesn't fall down and is actually functional. We plan the excavations, the utilities, the structural members, the mechanical systems, electrical systems and plumbing systems. I design the mechanical systems and then oversee the contractor through the construction process to make sure what he builds is what I designed. I'm turning over a project for bid on Tuesday where I will gut the boiler room of a school, replace all the controls in the building, and retrofit the fan systems. I also designed the 50,000 square foot addition they are attaching to the building.

This is just a statement of fact and not meant to be a brag. I simply enjoy what I do. It's not for everyone though.
You're not in building design, you're in services, accept it.

And in most of the world, including America, its the architects and structural engineers who design the buildings, not the supporting trades.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
uziq
Member
+138|867
i mean it's not like the US doesn't have an engineer corps or anything
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

funny, i thought architects designed buildings. you know, well educated people who went to good schools. i thought you were a HVAC engineer?

not sure where the 'third-rate' part is coming from, most of the authors i commission are academics. that may be you projecting there on your own part because of the amount of times i've jibed your reading habits. and i'll be going back into academia shortly, anyway – this is just a neat thing to do that flexes the same skills. i certainly don't have any social inferiority complexes caused by STEM types. especially a blue-collar arriviste like yourself.
Maybe it's different in the UK, but architects here have the artistic vision, they style the building and do the floor plan and plan the finishes. Some are good, some are bad, but their job is the form. Engineers come in behind them and make sure the building doesn't fall down and is actually functional. We plan the excavations, the utilities, the structural members, the mechanical systems, electrical systems and plumbing systems. I design the mechanical systems and then oversee the contractor through the construction process to make sure what he builds is what I designed. I'm turning over a project for bid on Tuesday where I will gut the boiler room of a school, replace all the controls in the building, and retrofit the fan systems. I also designed the 50,000 square foot addition they are attaching to the building.

This is just a statement of fact and not meant to be a brag. I simply enjoy what I do. It's not for everyone though.
You're not in building design, you're in services, accept it.

And in most of the world, including America, its the architects and structural engineers who design the buildings, not the supporting trades.
If you say so
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+138|867
i have a female friend who has trained as an architect in london. i know the design is more than an artistic sketch or CAD exercise. funny how you can arrogate to yourself the 'real' work of designing a building and make out that architects are the 'vision' types. it's odd how these more esteemed professions always end up being in some way 'phoney' and you're the invisible talent. it's always so convenient.

Last edited by uziq (2016-12-17 05:54:57)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,959|2773|London, England

uziq wrote:

i have a female friend who has trained as an architect in london. i know the design is more than an artistic sketch or CAD exercise. funny how you can arrogate to yourself the 'real' work of designing a building and make out that architects are the 'vision' types. it's odd how these more esteemed professions always end up being in some way 'phoney' and you're the invisible talent. it's always so convenient.
I'm not knocking architects, the good ones are great to work with and make everyone's job easier. The bad ones make non-functional buildings that make their tenants miserable.

I never said I do 'the real work', we're a team. I work for a consulting firm, and as Dlibert said, we provide our expertise as a service to the architect. The architect is the interface with the client and is responsible for the final product, which is why they get the credit, but they couldn't do their job without us and we couldn't do ours without them.

We do have professional rivalry though, which is probably the vibe you picked up on. I like most of them, but we do tend to sit around our office shitting on their designs when they make our job more difficult and I'm sure they do the same when I say I need lower ceilings and bigger mechanical spaces.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2593|Sydney

Jay wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Jay wrote:


Child, what does your miitary learn in their training? I bet it's how to shoot guns and perform hand to hand combat. The military can be used for humanitarian purposes but it's basic function is to kill other humans. This is why deploying the military should always be a big deal and why the militarization of police is such an urgent issue.
Do you even read your own words, or is just mental diarrhoea you spew?

You said "The whole purpose of the military is to fight wars or be ready to fight them. It serves literally no other function."

I said it does serve other purposes.

You said it doesn't.

I said go google humanitarian efforts.

You then call me a child because militaries train people how to use weapons. Which I never suggested they didn't, I just said they serve other purposes other than fighting wars.


Despite all this I'm sure you're going to come up with some reply that doesn't directly address what I've outlined here because "winning" an argument is more important than facts.

I can now see why people don't really respect you at times.
The military is miscast in a humanitarian role. You want them to stand there and deter bad guys? Sure, ok, but their job is still to be a hired killer, not hand out bags of rice. There are some parts of the military that can function in other roles, yes, construction engineers come to mind, but at the end of the day you're asking the military to do something outside of its stated purpose. If you want to distribute rice hire people whose job it is to distribute rice, that's all I'm saying.
No, you said that military had the singular and only purpose to kill people. Literally nothing else. Now you're changing that but trying to make it seem like what you said before is what you're saying now. But they're two different things.

You've changed from "literally no other function" to "their primary purpose".
unnamednewbie13
That's no place to put a mug.
+1,739|4187|Tipping, China

How did a transgender thread become all about Jay.
uziq
Member
+138|867
because, as with most points of contention here in d&st, jay is a walking contradiction. he professes a creed and doesn't stick to it himself.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+161|1135
i don't think there has been a single person on this forum who has agreed with jay's life outlook or personal story ever. even the veterans didn't like him.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|4131

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i don't think there has been a single person on this forum who has agreed with jay's life outlook or personal story ever. even the veterans didn't like him.
didn't all the other vets call him a pog.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Member
+161|1135

Cybargs wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i don't think there has been a single person on this forum who has agreed with jay's life outlook or personal story ever. even the veterans didn't like him.
didn't all the other vets call him a pog.
yes. i think they were all turned off by the 'i am a veteran. gimme gimme gimme"
uziq
Member
+138|867
jay can prattle on about service and honour and sacrifice now because all the actual soldiers have left.

he's gonna raise a son telling him 'daddy is a war hero'. that workfare scheme is literally the best thing that has ever happened to jay.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+625|3706|Washington St.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How did a transgender thread become all about Jay.
It's been 4 days and seven posts since he last commented yet everyone is still talking about him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard