Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2652|Sydney
Hey guys,

So I'm leaving Sydney on June 30 to travel around Europe for a couple months.

My itinerary:

2 nights Hong Kong
3 nights Paris
4 nights San Sebastian
5 nights Barcelona
2 nights Naples
3 nights Positano
4 nights Rome
5 nights Florence (last night is overnight couchette to Berlin)
7 nights Berlin
5 nights Prague
5 nights Budapest
1-2 nights Vienna
2-3 nights Windecken (little town outside of Frankfurt, mate moved there a decade ago)
4 nights Amsterdam
2 nights Birmingham (again, mate moved there ten years ago)
5 nights London
3 nights Paris, then back to Sydney

I've booked most accommodation and the larger train journeys, as well as flights.

Any tips for a first time traveler to Europe?

Cheers!

Jake

Last edited by Jaekus (2016-06-10 06:05:07)

uziq
Member
+138|926
give me a shout when in Birmingham/London, I show u real good time
SuperJail Warden
Member
+166|1193
You two should have sex.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2652|Sydney
With the same woman?
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites
+552|4187|Purplicious Wisconsin

Jaekus wrote:

With the same woman?
Pretty sure he was referring to a two-some with uzique
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,773|4105|949

I will be in London from 7/5-7/9
I will be in Spain from 7/9-7/16

There's a good chance i will be in Barcelona while you are there (if your trip is in chronological order)

Come to Pamplona and run with the bulls with me
uziq
Member
+138|926
you are a gay Hemingway
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,773|4105|949

oxymoran
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,773|4105|949

oxymoran
uziq
Member
+138|926
the sun also rises is a p. shitty book and makes me think all americans at pamplona need to get an anal fistula
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+697|4158|United States of America
Damn Jaekus, back at it again with the itineraries! Hopefully it will be an outstanding trip.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,773|4105|949

uziq wrote:

the sun also rises is a p. shitty book and makes me think all americans at pamplona need to get an anal fistula
only the americans though.
uziq
Member
+138|926
americans definitely stand out at european sites, yes. just like you could easily single out a russian in laguna beach.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,773|4105|949

uziq wrote:

americans definitely stand out at european sites, yes. just like you could easily single out a russian in laguna beach.
people in thailand hate russians.  Ever seen someone go into a convenience store, buy a bottle of beer and then take it into a bar?  They are right below chinese people as the most hated tourists i think.

I'm gonna be wearing white with a red sash, so I'll blend right in with the locals.

I also saw a russian mom pushing a stroller with a naked 6 year old girl in it.  The girl was spread eagled in the stroller.  It was really really disturbing.
Pocshy2.0
Member
+23|844
How did you get this much time off of work? And relatedly, should I move to Australia?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,759|3626|what

When you're in Hong Kong check out the Irish pub. There's only one there but you'll see a lot of tourists and it's a great place for food and drinks.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png

"coz you a far cry from acclaim nigga ubisoft"
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|4155|Disaster Free Zone

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

How did you get this much time off of work? And relatedly, should I move to Australia?
You get 4 weeks (minimum) paid leave every year which you can accumulate and take anytime. You can also get long service leave on top of that if you've worked in the same company for a number of years. And you can also just ask to take unpaid leave.

I know many people who have accrued 6+months of paid leave and 1 guy who had 3 years of paid leave, in the later case the company forced him to take 6 weeks off so he took 6months off and went to Europe.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Paid leave is also 17.5% higher then your standard salary

Last edited by DrunkFace (2016-06-11 01:02:27)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,592|3579|eXtreme to the maX
Advice:
You're Australian - there's no need to pretend to be Canadian

Not all areas are safe - don't just think you can wander around with impunity.

Spain and Italy are the worst places I know of for getting mugged/scammed.

If you're going to run with the bulls take a couple of litres of your own blood and a replacement anus.
You're going to need both if you hook up with Uzique or Ken.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2652|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I will be in London from 7/5-7/9
I will be in Spain from 7/9-7/16

There's a good chance i will be in Barcelona while you are there (if your trip is in chronological order)
Yes, it's chronological order. I'm in Barcelona from July 9-14.

Come to Pamplona and run with the bulls with me
Thanks, but I'll pass.

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

How did you get this much time off of work? And relatedly, should I move to Australia?
Technically I'm a casual employee, though I can choose the hours I work and as many or as little as I want. I also won this Euro trip two years ago, it got cancelled at the last minute. I put in for leave six months ago, and they were hardly in a position to say no to a prize they gave me.

Moving anywhere is ultimately your decision. I like it here, but I really want to see a lot more of the world.

AussieReaper wrote:

When you're in Hong Kong check out the Irish pub. There's only one there but you'll see a lot of tourists and it's a great place for food and drinks.
Guy from work told me the exact same thing. It's in Kowloon, yeah? That's where I'm staying.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Advice:
You're Australian - there's no need to pretend to be Canadian

Not all areas are safe - don't just think you can wander around with impunity.

Spain and Italy are the worst places I know of for getting mugged/scammed.

If you're going to run with the bulls take a couple of litres of your own blood and a replacement anus.
You're going to need both if you hook up with Uzique or Ken.
1. I wouldn't even try
2. I know this, but thanks.
3. I've read this, also Prague too.
4. I'm not running with the bulls but if I meet up with Uzique I might need a replacement nose.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2652|Sydney

DesertFox- wrote:

Damn Jaekus, back at it again with the itineraries! Hopefully it will be an outstanding trip.
So do I!
Pocshy2.0
Member
+23|844

DrunkFace wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

How did you get this much time off of work? And relatedly, should I move to Australia?
You get 4 weeks (minimum) paid leave every year which you can accumulate and take anytime. You can also get long service leave on top of that if you've worked in the same company for a number of years. And you can also just ask to take unpaid leave.

I know many people who have accrued 6+months of paid leave and 1 guy who had 3 years of paid leave, in the later case the company forced him to take 6 weeks off so he took 6months off and went to Europe.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Paid leave is also 17.5% higher then your standard salary
Fuuuuarkkk. We get 3 weeks minimum paid at the same rate as your usual wage. Most companies have rules that you cannot accrue more than double your base vacation allowance (so if you get 3 weeks a year, 6 weeks is your max). We do, however, get unpaid time, but that's a pretty shit option and is allowed for at the discretion of the employer. You really take your chances with getting replaced pulling the unpaid leave scheme too often.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,308|3785

Pocshy: I forget what level of government you made it into, but if it's federal, you can accumulate your paid leave up to the max defined in your collective agreement (for me it's ~260 hours). We also have the option of taking 80% of our pay for 5 years then take the 6th year off.
Pocshy2.0
Member
+23|844

bugz wrote:

Pocshy: I forget what level of government you made it into, but if it's federal, you can accumulate your paid leave up to the max defined in your collective agreement (for me it's ~260 hours). We also have the option of taking 80% of our pay for 5 years then take the 6th year off.
I'm all the way down here at the Ontario provincial government. I think we also have the 80% for 5 years for 1 year off scheme, but I don't know anyone using it right now. Your collective agreement appears to be somewhat similar to ours, but written differently. 260 hours is close to the 6 weeks we're allowed. Your benefits at the PSC are legendary, though.

EDIT - and yes, I am now done derailing this thread.

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2016-06-11 10:33:01)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|2652|Sydney
Derail all you like my anonymous, yet strangely familiar, internet friends.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+203|1433|SL,UT

Jaekus wrote:

Derail all you like my anonymous, yet strangely familiar, internet friends.
bf2s summarised . . .

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard