Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|3942|'Murka

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Science still can't explain how Moses parted the Red Sea.


And for all you guys who like to keep up with science news, check out

http://slashdot.org/
Yeah it can - I saw a documentary on it.

There is evidence that suggests it wasn't the Red Sea (it was a shallower bit of water somewhere else) and it was something to do with a huge volcano eruption and following tsunami which pulled all the water out of the place they used for crossing.

I don't remember much of it, but it sounded fairly plausible - far more plausible than the original version.
actually, it was a translation mistake (when translating the bible text into the greek language). the hebrew word "jam suph", which means "reed", was wrongly translated as "red sea". the reedsea was a swampland in the nildelta. the israelites knew it pretty well (their former homeland was next to it), so that it was easy for moses, to guide them safely through the quagmire. the egyptians, however, with their heavy chariots and equipment got stuck in the swamp and had to give up the pursuit
That's one of many mistranslations from the original hebrew to greek that have caused problems.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Marlo Stanfield
online poker tax cheating
+122|2694

Spark wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/7480815/Large-Hadron-Collider-breaks-energy-record.html

I mention this partially because used to be different.
The amount of money they sank into that could have been so much better used to discover renewable clean energy.

Just a thought.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Spark wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/7480815/Large-Hadron-Collider-breaks-energy-record.html

I mention this partially because used to be different.
The amount of money they sank into that could have been so much better used to discover renewable clean energy.

Just a thought.
That's a pretty weak argument imo...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|3754|Brisneyland

Marlo Stanfield wrote:

Spark wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/large-hadron-collider/7480815/Large-Hadron-Collider-breaks-energy-record.html

I mention this partially because used to be different.
The amount of money they sank into that could have been so much better used to discover renewable clean energy.

Just a thought.
But if they get some of this right, energy production in the future will cease to be a problem at all.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
Let's try this again.

New Ebola Drug 100 Percent Effective In Monkeys : NPR. This is interesting. Not because the method is unusual and not because it's unusual that it actually works (I think they're trying something similar with HIV with good results). I'm genuinely surprised however, that it is so effective. 100% effectiveness? On an ebola virus? Could be very useful this. Not least because it might lead to a treatment for ebola and other hemorragic (sp) fevers. Also as a starting base for new antiviral treatments which we desperately need (although not as much as a new chloroquine). Don't discount the global bioterrorism mitigation thing as well.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|3942|'Murka

It would be amazing if they could turn that into a vaccine, rather than an "after the fact" injection. But then, that would introduce an entirely new set of ethical questions of introducing ebola RNA into healthy populations...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
That's basically why there won't be any clinical trials, in the normal sense, of this kind of thing. As you say, introducing Ebola RNA into healthy people...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,609|4152|London, England

FEOS wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:


Yeah it can - I saw a documentary on it.

There is evidence that suggests it wasn't the Red Sea (it was a shallower bit of water somewhere else) and it was something to do with a huge volcano eruption and following tsunami which pulled all the water out of the place they used for crossing.

I don't remember much of it, but it sounded fairly plausible - far more plausible than the original version.
actually, it was a translation mistake (when translating the bible text into the greek language). the hebrew word "jam suph", which means "reed", was wrongly translated as "red sea". the reedsea was a swampland in the nildelta. the israelites knew it pretty well (their former homeland was next to it), so that it was easy for moses, to guide them safely through the quagmire. the egyptians, however, with their heavy chariots and equipment got stuck in the swamp and had to give up the pursuit
That's one of many mistranslations from the original hebrew to greek that have caused problems.
Greeks should have stuck to their own religion. Freakin' Zeus and and Sparta or Moses, I think it's an easy decision.
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/iMech/annoying_banner.png
https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y285/iMech/im_emo.gif
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|4080|San Diego, CA, USA
'Printer' Designed to Create Human Organs
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,594007,00.html

Now that'll be pretty kewl especially in countries like Japan.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|4080|San Diego, CA, USA
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/sc … 4jun_swef/

NASA: 'Sun is waking up from a deep slumber'; Warns solar storms may wreak havoc on power grids, GPS, air travel, radio communications...
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 103125.htm

Hmm. If I had to pick where I would most likely find life off Earth in the solar system, this would probably be my #2.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-07 20:34:44)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|3858|Australia

Spark wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100606103125.htm

Hmm. If I had to pick where I would most likely find life off Earth in the solar system, this would probably be my #2.
Whats your number one? Europa? The whole surface is ice, but it's possible that theres still a liquid ocean under it all.

Though how anyone would manage to build a craft that can travel there, land, drill/melt through the ice and then explore underwater is beyond me.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

Spark wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100606103125.htm

Hmm. If I had to pick where I would most likely find life off Earth in the solar system, this would probably be my #2.
Whats your number one? Europa? The whole surface is ice, but it's possible that theres still a liquid ocean under it all.

Though how anyone would manage to build a craft that can travel there, land, drill/melt through the ice and then explore underwater is beyond me.
Yep. Liquid ocean, high likelihood of volcanic instability at depths = possibility of hydrothermal-like vents = good chance of life.

Last edited by Spark (2010-06-07 23:55:47)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BLdw
..
+27|2703|M104 "Sombrero"
Hayabusa is on its journey back to Earth.
It didn't land perfectly on the asteroid so it's uncertain how much dust it was able to collect.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
Ah well, better than nothing. Assuming it didn't get nothing.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|4206|Canberra, AUS
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,741|4303|Banoi, PNG

BLdw wrote:

Hayabusa is on its journey back to Earth.
It didn't land perfectly on the asteroid so it's uncertain how much many dust space viruses it was able to collect.
Fixed.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|4080|San Diego, CA, USA
Update: Rat Lung Successfully Regenerated and Transplanted

---

So does that mean we can all start smoking now ;-P
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|4311|Great Brown North
i like this thread, needs more posts
Wreckognize
Member
+294|4016
Got this in an email from MAPS, the paper will be available online tomorrow on http://jop.sagepub.com/pap.dtl

MDMA (ECSTASY)-ASSISTED PSYCHOTHERAPY RELIEVES TREATMENT-RESISTANT PTSD IN FIRST COMPLETED CLINICAL TRIAL


London, UK (July 19, 2010) – MDMA (±3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, also known as Ecstasy), may one day offer hope for individuals with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), even people for whom other treatments have failed. Clinical trial results out today in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, published by SAGE, suggests that MDMA can be administered to subjects with PTSD without evidence of harm and could offer sufferers a vital window with reduced fear responses where psychotherapy can take effect.

Before MDMA became used recreationally under the street name Ecstasy, hundreds of psychiatrists and psychotherapists around the world administered MDMA as a catalyst to psychotherapy. MDMA was criminalized in the US in 1985 (it had been illegal in the UK since 1977). Several decades later, this study is the first completed randomised, double-blinded clinical trial to evaluate MDMA as a therapeutic adjunct in any patient population.

Belmont, MA-based Rick Doblin, Ph.D., President of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (www.maps.org, a non-profit psychedelic and medical marijuana research and educational organization that sponsored the study), together with South Carolina-based psychiatrist Michael Mithoefer, MD and colleagues, conducted a pilot Phase II clinical trial with 20 patients with chronic PTSD persisting for an average of over 19 years. Prior to enrolling in the MDMA study, subjects were required to have received, and failed to obtain relief, from both psychotherapy and psychopharmacology.

Participants treated with a combination of MDMA and psychotherapy saw clinically and statistically significant improvements in their PTSD – over 80% of the trial group no longer met the diagnostic criteria for PTSD, stipulated in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV (DSM-IV-TR) following the trial, compared to only 25% of the placebo group. In addition, all three subjects who reported being unable to work due to PTSD were able to return to work following treatment with MDMA.

The trial centred on two eight-hour psychotherapy sessions scheduled about 3-5 weeks apart, where 12 subjects received MDMA, and eight took a placebo. Subjects were also given psychotherapy on a weekly basis before and after each experimental session. A blinded, independent rater tested each subject using a PTSD scale at baseline, and at intervals four days after each session and two months after the second session. The clinical response was significant – 10 of the 12 in the treatment group responded to the treatment compared with just two of the eight in the placebo group. During the trial, the subjects did not experience any drug-related Serious Adverse Events (SAEs), nor any adverse neurocognitive effects or clinically significant blood pressure or temperature increases.

After the two-month follow-up, subjects in the placebo group were offered the option to participate in the treatment process again, to receive MDMA on an open-label basis, acting as their own controls. Seven of the eight placebo subjects elected to receive MDMA-assisted psychotherapy, with successful treatment outcomes similar to the subjects initially randomized to MDMA.

PTSD involves exaggerated and uncontrolled fear responses. To treat these, psychotherapists need to help sufferers revisit traumatic experiences. But patients often suffer intolerable feelings when they revisit the trauma, or numb themselves emotionally, resulting in the psychotherapy having little effect. The goal of using MDMA is to temporarily reduce fear and increase trust without inhibiting emotions, especially painful emotions, allowing these patients a window where psychotherapy for their PTSD is effective.

MDMA’s pharmacological effects include serotonin release, 5HT2 receptor stimulation and increase in levels of the neurohormones oxytocin, prolactin and cortisol.

Importantly, this trial involved concentrated periods of patient-therapist contact (31 hours over two months) including two all-day therapy sessions and overnight stays in the clinic. “These are not usual features of psychotherapy practice in the outpatient setting,” says Michael Mithoefer. MDMA-assisted psychotherapy would require special clinics equipped for longer treatment sessions and overnight stays if an MDMA-based treatment were approved. “This method also involves patient preparation and close follow-up to support further processing of emotions and integration of cognitive shifts that may occur,” Mithoefer adds, stressing that these are vital for safety and therapeutic effect.

Measures like these may prove a price worth paying, however, to alleviate the debilitating effects of PTSD on sufferers in future.

The authors caution that the study does have limitations – for example they did not look at gender and ethnic factors in their sample selection. Another important limitation was that most participants and trial investigators guessed accurately whether they were in the treatment or the placebo group. The placebo had no psychoactive effect and investigators could detect raised blood pressure and other symptoms in the MDMA group. A long-term follow-up to the study just published, evaluating subjects an average of about 40 months post-treatment, is underway.

The investigators have now received the go ahead from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for a protocol for a three-arm, dose-response design that they expect will result in successful blinding. This new study is for US veterans with war-related PTSD, most from Iraq and Afghanistan and a few from Vietnam. MAPS is currently sponsoring MDMA/PTSD Phase 2 pilot studies in Switzerland and Israel, and is working to start additional pilot studies in Canada, Jordan and Spain.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|4080|San Diego, CA, USA
So when can we expect the "MDMA (±3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine" dispensaries?

But seriously, I hope people don't get all weirded out about scientists finding medically sound uses for recreational drugs.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|4002
everybody should have a daily prescription of XTC... there would be no war.

that chemical has some sort of magic about it, very hard to explain. really not surprised that it can be used constructively.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|4080|San Diego, CA, USA
Move aside Blue-Ray...get ready for Blue-Violet Ray!

Stores 20x the information that today's Blue-Ray:

Source: http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/0 … re-Blu-ray
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,741|4303|Banoi, PNG

Harmor wrote:

Move aside Blue-Ray...get ready for Blue-Violet Ray!

Stores 20x the information that today's Blue-Ray:

Source: http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/0 … re-Blu-ray
And you still won't be able to tell the difference on a 40" screen. I'm not ditching my VHS's, DVD's or Blu-Rays just yet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard