Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|4287|Scotland

The DROID, which is called the MILESTONE over here (well, only in Germany and Italy so far) supports multi touch right out of the box (as in, the Google apps already have it included) but sadly, the US guys don't get it... Most likely because of Apple.

Uzique: Nothing has been announced about the Milestone hitting the UK in the next coming month or whatever, but I would certainly get it over the 3GS.
Benzin
Member
+576|3530

Uzique wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I sincerely doubt Google will let the UK market slip by. Microsoft made a big mistake by delaying Zune HD across the pond.
yah... there are reports that some of our major providers have already snapped up contracts for the droid in germany (although they're renaming it, apparently). they would be fools to let the UK market slip by because of business/contractual delays... especially if they miss the xmas rush. people would love this phone. ive heard some industry reports - dunno if they're rumours or speculation - that some of our providers, e.g. Orange, who just signed for the iPhone, have turned down offers to sell the droid. shame. i hope there's more to the droid than the apple-O2 monopoly that we have here-- prices get rigged sky-high and don't seem to come down in time like other gadgets eventually do.

im still divided between the iphone 3Gs and this droid. i'll sit on it for a month or two... i can wait. especially when shit moves so fast in this corner of the tech-market.
Honestly, pick an Android phone. It doesn't have to be the Motorola here on offer. The Droid beats the shit out of the iPhone in every way (except MAYBE 3-D graphics rendering) and any of the Android offerings from HTC is on par with the iPhone (again, the 3-D renderings go to the iPhone, but I notice no real lag in my HTC Magic, but I probably can't play Super Mario N64 either). If you aren't going to be using the phone for music, you'll be more than happy with anything Android that is currently on the market (not counting the Motorola Droid and the soon-to-be-released Sony Ericsson Android phone).
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|4287|Scotland

CapnNismo wrote:

If you aren't going to be using the phone for music.
This IS Uzique you're talking to you. You know that, right?
Benzin
Member
+576|3530

Zimmer wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

If you aren't going to be using the phone for music.
This IS Uzique you're talking to you. You know that, right?
Point. But in all honesty, using the phone for all those things really is a waste. Kiss any hope of being away from a charger for long periods of time goodbye.

Get a phone and an mp3 player and you have two batteries for two different activities.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|3922

CapnNismo wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

If you aren't going to be using the phone for music.
This IS Uzique you're talking to you. You know that, right?
Point. But in all honesty, using the phone for all those things really is a waste. Kiss any hope of being away from a charger for long periods of time goodbye.

Get a phone and an mp3 player and you have two batteries for two different activities.
So why not get a brick instead of either phone and buy an expensive mp3 player with the money you just saved?  Then you get your phone with its full battery life and a separate mp3 player to satisfy whatever need for weather widgets you might have.
Benzin
Member
+576|3530

some_random_panda wrote:

So why not get a brick instead of either phone and buy an expensive mp3 player with the money you just saved?  Then you get your phone with its full battery life and a separate mp3 player to satisfy whatever need for weather widgets you might have.
You're not always going to have your mp3 player with you, correct (obviously exceptions)? At the same time, you will always have your phone with you, so would it not be nice to always have the apps and stuff on the phone?

Or you buy something like an iPod Touch or one of the other devices (though I think the Touch is the only one that could really fill this role properly) and it would give you all the apps and stuff of a smart phone PLUS an mp3 player. Then buy a cell phone just for being a phone.

Buyer's choice. Though I think it's more logical to separate your devices to your preference so that way you're not always worrying about if the phone is going to make it through the day. It's not so tragic if the mp3 battery dies halfway through the day, but it's a lot worse if the phone goes out.

But this is another discussion for another thread....

The HTC Droid Eris (also available on Verizon) is supposed to have multitouch in the US, or at least that's what I've heard. Pretty neat looking phone - somewhere between an HTC Magic and an HTC Hero in terms of styling.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|4287|Scotland

Phones should all just have nuclear powered batteries.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

Zimmer wrote:

The DROID, which is called the MILESTONE over here (well, only in Germany and Italy so far) supports multi touch right out of the box (as in, the Google apps already have it included) but sadly, the US guys don't get it... Most likely because of Apple.

Uzique: Nothing has been announced about the Milestone hitting the UK in the next coming month or whatever, but I would certainly get it over the 3GS.
None of the built in apps that come with the phone have multi touch. Third party apps are supposed to support it though.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/04/moto … upport-th/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|4253|Sydney, Australia

Kmarion wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

have fun buddy.  motorola phones are absolute shit, especially with battery life.
Really.. I have no problem with the razor I've had for two years.. buddy. Maybe it's just user error.
Lol, I have to agree with haffey. I've had a few motorola phones in the past.. hate them tbh.


I must admit that it looks pretty cool. However "dual LED flash". Seriously?
Benzin
Member
+576|3530
Wrong, Kmarion. The US version of the phone (Motorola Droid) does not have multitouch, while the European version (Motorola Milestone) DOES have multitouch.

Android 2.0 supports multitouch, it's built into the API and made available to anyone developing applications for Android. The problem is that someone involved with the production/release of the Droid DISABLED it on the Droid for its US release. Buy a GSM version of it, however, and you have multitouch.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

CapnNismo wrote:

Wrong, Kmarion. The US version of the phone (Motorola Droid) does not have multitouch, while the European version (Motorola Milestone) DOES have multitouch.

Android 2.0 supports multitouch, it's built into the API and made available to anyone developing applications for Android. The problem is that someone involved with the production/release of the Droid DISABLED it on the Droid for its US release. Buy a GSM version of it, however, and you have multitouch.
Not necessarily according to engadget and the video I just posted. From what I gather the capability is there but the out of the box official apps aren't allowed to do it for fear of litigation.. even though the Zune HD supports multi touch.


Video #2 ..More proof.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Benzin
Member
+576|3530
That's what I said. It doesn't have multitouch out of the box in the US.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2009-11-06 05:58:27)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

CapnNismo wrote:

That's what I said. It doesn't have multitouch out of the box in the US.
Recap

CapnNismo wrote:

Wrong, Kmarion. The US version of the phone (Motorola Droid) does not have multitouch, while the European version (Motorola Milestone) DOES have multitouch.

Android 2.0 supports multitouch, it's built into the API and made available to anyone developing applications for Android. The problem is that someone involved with the production/release of the Droid DISABLED it on the Droid for its US release. Buy a GSM version of it, however, and you have multitouch.
When you said it was disabled it sounded like you meant incapable.. which it is. So what excatly was wrong with what I said then? Why would i need to buy a gsm phone? I said the base apps didn't have it but third party apps would.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Benzin
Member
+576|3530
That's IF Google allows third-party apps to release said apps in the US with that functionality. I still don't understand why these companies are afraid of Apple ... it's not like multitouch is anything new with any system. Hell, Elantech has been making touchpads with it for laptops for a while now.

A quick aside in regards to that email syncing: I don't seem to have that problem with my Magic that the Droid does. My email syncs up damn near instant. In some cases, I have to actually click the refresh button on Gmail in the browser a couple times before it will show there even though it's already arrived on my Magic. Odd. Perhaps something to do with Android 2.0 ...

Last edited by CapnNismo (2009-11-06 06:39:42)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|4287|Scotland

Apple has broken several licensing and patenting laws over the years, all you need to do is use their own weapons against them.

Palm has a plethora of patents that Apple has blatantly stolen.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

CapnNismo wrote:

That's IF Google allows third-party apps to release said apps in the US with that functionality. I still don't understand why these companies are afraid of Apple ... it's not like multitouch is anything new with any system. Hell, Elantech has been making touchpads with it for laptops for a while now.

A quick aside in regards to that email syncing: I don't seem to have that problem with my Magic that the Droid does. My email syncs up damn near instant. In some cases, I have to actually click the refresh button on Gmail in the browser a couple times before it will show there even though it's already arrived on my Magic. Odd. Perhaps something to do with Android 2.0 ...

Kmarion wrote:

Google apps..It will be user driven and will NOT require approval (from what I have heard).
http://gizmodo.com/5043178/android-mark … plications
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|4287|Scotland

Apple can't really stop them.
Benzin
Member
+576|3530

Kmarion wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/5043178/android-market-googles-app-store-will-not-require-approval-for-applications
That article is over a year old. Google has censored a few apps in their store, dude. When you get your phone, just look for the various petition apps that mention a few of them.

Zimmer is right, though, about Apple infringing on patents. Nokia is suing them over a couple right now, actually.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

CapnNismo wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

http://gizmodo.com/5043178/android-market-googles-app-store-will-not-require-approval-for-applications
That article is over a year old. Google has censored a few apps in their store, dude. When you get your phone, just look for the various petition apps that mention a few of them.

Zimmer is right, though, about Apple infringing on patents. Nokia is suing them over a couple right now, actually.
Did you watch either of the videos showing multi-touch in action with the droid?

btw I'm not sure I'm sold on the device.. Multitouch certainly wont be a deal breaker though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Benzin
Member
+576|3530
I've seen them.

Again, the market is somewhat monitored and censored. Not often, but again, it happens. I'm curious what is going to happen. The Palm Pre was supposed to be the smartphone that changed the game and it just kind of fizzled. I'm not listening to the hype.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|4132|132 and Bush

I think it's Verizon making a stink about the multi touch stuff, ensuring that the device is not issued with multitouch apps. Knowing that it is possible is reassuring.

Btw my Sis got one this morn. I'm going to play with it a little later.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|4122|Reisterstown, MD

I  have the MyTouch from T-mobile and it is simile to this phone by Verizon.  I love it.  I don't know if it will kill the iphone and I'm not even sure that is its intentions, however, it does have some features that the iphone does such as open development.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|4002
to clarify an earlier point: im NOT interested in a phone for music/video/camera stuff, at all. i have an mp3 player/camera that does a better job. any phone that markets itself as an 'mp3' or 'music on the move'-type device instantly gets ignored by me... i see no reason in paying £££ extra for a phone with mp3-playback as a central feature, when they offer paltry storage limits. i find my max-sized ipod too restrictive, so there's no way i'll be swayed between apple/droid according to multimedia features. i want a solid phone- apps, internet browsing and cool shit are great pluses. i want to make the leap to smartphones/touchpad phones in general, that's all.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|3751|Phoenix, AZ
Looks like I finally found a replacement for the headache of the iPhone and AT&T


yessss   +1
SealXo
Member
+309|4067
how much would the monthly plan for this be if i wanted unlimited text/internet? im down to use my upgrade and pay 150 for it but i dont want to pay 100/m for email...

Last edited by SealXo (2009-11-06 13:25:31)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard