Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black
In what may become a deal-breaker for PC gamers, Dedicated Server support may not be available in Modern Warfare 2.
http://bashandslash.com/index.php?optio … Itemid=111

If that's the case on release I am definately not getting it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

I don't get it
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black

Miggle wrote:

I don't get it
They're making the PC version like the XBawks version, matchmaking and player-hosted servers. (Perhaps).

EDIT: Oh and player-hosted servers would put an end to mods, therefore no competative scene.

Last edited by Finray (2009-10-17 12:21:33)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

I don't get it
They're making the PC version like the XBawks version, matchmaking and player-hosted servers. (Perhaps).

EDIT: Oh and player-hosted servers would put an end to mods, therefore no competative scene.
not sure I follow, consoles have competitive leagues
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|3761|Belfast
Something's fishy....

OFP didn't ship with dedicated servers either , so thats two games in two months

Even if I had a PC that could run this, Id still get it for my PS3.

Last edited by henno13 (2009-10-17 12:24:27)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

I don't get it
They're making the PC version like the XBawks version, matchmaking and player-hosted servers. (Perhaps).

EDIT: Oh and player-hosted servers would put an end to mods, therefore no competative scene.
not sure I follow, consoles have competitive leagues
I made a spelling mistake, /care.

Would you rather have what we have now, low lag, server browsing, or matchmaking like on the consoles?

henno13 wrote:

Something's fishy....

OFP didn't ship with dedicated servers either

Even if I had a PC that could run this, Id still get it for my PS3.
I read about that. Isn't OFP flopping on PC (MP wise) because of it?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:


They're making the PC version like the XBawks version, matchmaking and player-hosted servers. (Perhaps).

EDIT: Oh and player-hosted servers would put an end to mods, therefore no competative scene.
not sure I follow, consoles have competitive leagues
I made a spelling mistake, /care.

Would you rather have what we have now, low lag, server browsing, or matchmaking like on the consoles?

henno13 wrote:

Something's fishy....

OFP didn't ship with dedicated servers either

Even if I had a PC that could run this, Id still get it for my PS3.
I read about that. Isn't OFP flopping on PC (MP wise) because of it?
of course I prefer dedicated servers, I just fail to understand how this affects competition.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:


not sure I follow, consoles have competitive leagues
I made a spelling mistake, /care.

Would you rather have what we have now, low lag, server browsing, or matchmaking like on the consoles?

henno13 wrote:

Something's fishy....

OFP didn't ship with dedicated servers either

Even if I had a PC that could run this, Id still get it for my PS3.
I read about that. Isn't OFP flopping on PC (MP wise) because of it?
of course I prefer dedicated servers, I just fail to understand how this affects competition.
The size of Vanilla CoD4 leagues are tiny in comparison to Promod leagues, i37 etc.

No dedicated servers would mean no mods.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Finray wrote:

Miggle wrote:

not sure I follow, consoles have competitive leagues
I made a spelling mistake, /care.

Would you rather have what we have now, low lag, server browsing, or matchmaking like on the consoles?


I read about that. Isn't OFP flopping on PC (MP wise) because of it?
of course I prefer dedicated servers, I just fail to understand how this affects competition.
The size of Vanilla CoD4 leagues are tiny in comparison to Promod leagues, i37 etc.

No dedicated servers would mean no mods.
why do you think that?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|3761|Belfast

Finray wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Something's fishy....

OFP didn't ship with dedicated servers either

Even if I had a PC that could run this, Id still get it for my PS3.
I read about that. Isn't OFP flopping on PC (MP wise) because of it?
Yeah, PC gamers were complained en masse on CMs froums about the lack of dedicated servers. They shared the same server host as the PS3 MP, but it decided to fuck up. Both the PS3 and PC MP was either down or extemley laggy for a week. It has been fixed according to a CM employee, but it is still far from perfect.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black
From OP link...

The lack of dedi servers would be a death blow to our modding community. You cannot have matchmaking AND run different mods, it just wouldn't work.

Implications?

        * Password protected servers would not exist.
        * Clan matches would not take place.
        * Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear.
        * Ad-hoc scrims could be a thing of the past.
        * Game Server Providers would be crippled.
        * Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past.
        * Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

From OP link...

The lack of dedi servers would be a death blow to our modding community. You cannot have matchmaking AND run different mods, it just wouldn't work.

Implications?

        * Password protected servers would not exist.
        * Clan matches would not take place.
        * Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear.
        * Ad-hoc scrims could be a thing of the past.
        * Game Server Providers would be crippled.
        * Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past.
        * Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game.
That doesn't make much sense. Modding and Competitive play can work fine with matchmaking. That post makes this sound like the PC apocalypse, which it isn't, it just a shitty game getting shittier and hopefully raising understanding and outrage at consolization.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|3875|cuntshitlake

Miggle wrote:

That doesn't make much sense. Modding and Competitive play can work fine with matchmaking. That post makes this sound like the PC apocalypse, which it isn't, it just a shitty game getting shittier and hopefully raising understanding and outrage at consolization.
It can work fine with matchmaking, but not with players hosting matches.

Basically, this is shit news and I won't even bother pirating this piece of shit.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Miggle wrote:

That doesn't make much sense. Modding and Competitive play can work fine with matchmaking. That post makes this sound like the PC apocalypse, which it isn't, it just a shitty game getting shittier and hopefully raising understanding and outrage at consolization.
It can work fine with matchmaking, but not with players hosting matches.

Basically, this is shit news and I won't even bother pirating this piece of shit.
not to mention it will have no effect on piracy.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black
It's not necessarily a PC apocalypse, it's a MW2 apocalypse. It'll fail hard.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black
Look at FC2, no dedicated servers, MP sucks and is laggy.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

Finray wrote:

It's not necessarily a PC apocalypse, it's a MW2 apocalypse. It'll fail hard.
I think MW2 was screwed as soon as CoD4 came out.

This whole article is completely retarded though:

"Password protected servers would not exist."
Why not? I would assume you could play privately.

"Clan matches would not take place."
See above

"Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear."
And why is this? There's no problem with competitive gaming in other games with matchmaking

"Game Server Providers would be crippled."
It's one game...

"Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past."
Thank god, CoD4 was ok with a max of 6 players, any more and it was awful.

"Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game."
Hobbyist.

Anyways, there's no reason matchmaking and modding can't work together, if the host wants to run his mod, why can't he?

"To combat piracy for one.

Remember IW ranting that there were so many people torrenting CoD4 a few years ago? Two years ago, they claimed piracy as the number one threat to their livelihood."
And how does that have any effect on piracy whatsoever?

"Operation Flashpoint 2 is learning this the hard way. Filled with promise, OF2 was released with no dedi server capability - a scenario causing their PC customer base to fly into a massive fur-ball. A revolt only recently calmed by the game's developer claiming that this capability will be available in the near future."
OFP2 sucked anyways, as MW2 will, they both have reasons independent of their servers for them to be awful.

Last edited by Miggle (2009-10-17 12:55:40)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,407|4154|FUCK UBISOFT

NOTE: Matchmaking does not mean that we will lose dedicated servers. However, let's assume the worst case scenario (for maximum panic)...what could the lack of dedicated servers mean to us...
NOTE: I have not seen any comment that specifically says PC's will NOT be getting Dedicated Servers.
and this is all tin foil hat shit, not even any factual backing for their terror.

Last edited by Miggle (2009-10-17 12:52:03)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/44874/FUCK%20UBISOFT%20RIGHT%20IN%20THE%20FUCKING%20ASS.png
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|3875|cuntshitlake

Miggle wrote:

NOTE: Matchmaking does not mean that we will lose dedicated servers. However, let's assume the worst case scenario (for maximum panic)...what could the lack of dedicated servers mean to us...
NOTE: I have not seen any comment that specifically says PC's will NOT be getting Dedicated Servers.
and this is all tin foil hat shit, not even any factual backing for their terror.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 6#p2858536
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|3348
IW said they didn't want to make computer games and they always wanted to make MW games. They were forced to make COD2 a WW2 game. Oh and they only want to make console games.

It's true, us PC gamers are fucked because of whoring console nubs. I hate console/ers with a passion.

Anyway, don't expect too much PC support from IW.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|4192|Great Brown North
and my pre-order is canceled
Hallvard
Member
+262|3934|North Norway

I just finished listening to the almost 3 hour long webcast. Sad news for pc gaming.
I think I'll just get the game in alternative ways for the singleplayer and screw the multiplayer. CoD4's multiplayer is still good. Was looking foreward to all the goodies in mw2 thou, but that can be implemented by modders.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|3880

Hallvard wrote:

I just finished listening to the almost 3 hour long webcast. Sad news for pc gaming.
I think I'll just get the game in alternative ways for the singleplayer and screw the multiplayer. CoD4's multiplayer is still good. Was looking foreward to all the goodies in mw2 thou, but that can be implemented by modders.
I wanted to punch that IW guy's face in whenever he said it would be better for the casual player. Just because you don't play with a rock up your ass doesn't mean you don't want to be able to find a server that you can be near sure you will have fun on. With IWNet, you have no clue what is going to happen when it tries to pick a server for you.

Also FC2 had matchmaking, hell it was one up on CoD4 2: EB as in FC2 the server you were being match-made to could at least be a dedi. From the like 3 times I played that game's MP, the non-dedis were lag zilla and the dedis, well the game sucked either way but at-least your guns would hit things more than half the time.

Non-dedicated servers are a relic, they've been outdated since the late 1990's, the reason multiplayer has been able to expand in a large enough amount that it has become the main reason people buy certain games is because of dedicated servers. And for that asshole to say that people are better without them, he must have never played a PC game in his life.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,613|3200|Catherine Black

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Hallvard wrote:

I just finished listening to the almost 3 hour long webcast. Sad news for pc gaming.
I think I'll just get the game in alternative ways for the singleplayer and screw the multiplayer. CoD4's multiplayer is still good. Was looking foreward to all the goodies in mw2 thou, but that can be implemented by modders.
I wanted to punch that IW guy's face in whenever he said it would be better for the casual player. Just because you don't play with a rock up your ass doesn't mean you don't want to be able to find a server that you can be near sure you will have fun on. With IWNet, you have no clue what is going to happen when it tries to pick a server for you.

Also FC2 had matchmaking, hell it was one up on CoD4 2: EB as in FC2 the server you were being match-made to could at least be a dedi. From the like 3 times I played that game's MP, the non-dedis were lag zilla and the dedis, well the game sucked either way but at-least your guns would hit things more than half the time.

Non-dedicated servers are a relic, they've been outdated since the late 1990's, the reason multiplayer has been able to expand in a large enough amount that it has become the main reason people buy certain games is because of dedicated servers. And for that asshole to say that people are better without them, he must have never played a PC game in his life.
Basically what they're doing is making PCs more consolised. They think that because their biggest market is on Consoles that they should adapt the game to be the same on PCs, to boost their sales.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5823329/Misc/BF2s/sig/signature.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2017 Jeff Minard